Thursday, January 14, 2016

Red Shoe Run, McCoffee and Red Shoe Shopping. :)


     Happy 2016! Along with the rest of the world, I have decided to set a few goals for myself. One of those goals was to begin running a few more local races and really getting to know my running community in Birmingham, Alabama. Not saying that I won't travel a little in 2016, but I do want to tune in a bit more to my home life. :)

     I was beyond thrilled when McDonalds and Ronald McDonald House Charities of Alabama  reached out to me and asked if I would be interested in helping out with The Red Shoe Run in Homewood, Alabama! Would I??? Of course I would!!  This race offers a one mile fun run, a 5k and 10-mile distance.  There is something for everyone!!


     I've had friends with very sick children who have stayed at the Ronald McDonald House so I knew this was a FABULOUS charity to support. Plus, who doesn't like McDonalds?? I don't know of a soul who could really say that.


     All I knew before I started this adventure was that I was going to have some pretty big red shoes to fill. #SeeWhatIDidThere?

     I went over to my local Hoover McDonalds where there was Red Shoe Run Sign Up Party going on. Runners were encouraged to stop by, register and enjoy a combo meal compliments of McDonalds.  How cool is that?? Free meal and register for a race? I'm in. My kids were pumped! They can gobble up a Big Mac Meal in about two seconds...Hungry teenagers are the BEST. :)))

     Not only did I register for the race but I became a Team Captain! I'm going to encourage all of my local running friends to join my team (Team BamagirlRUNS) and come have some fun with me on January 23rd at the Red Shoe Run!

     As a Team Captain, I will be in charge of picking up my teams' race packets, raising funds for Ronald McDonald House Charities of Alabama and attending a social.  At the social, we will take a tour of the Ronald McDonald House, enjoy a dinner provided by McDonald's, game some race day information, pick up my team packets early and receive a team Captain t-shirt!!  I'm so excied about this!!
    



     My little Seahawks fan COULD NOT WAIT to get the Red Shoes on his feet and has asked me at least one million times to buy him a pair!  He's a nutty little fella who likes to dress up and wear silly things....wonder where he gets that from?? hmmmmm.... ;)



Proud moment.
     Anyone who knows me in real life knows that after I run, I freeze. I mean, I FREEZE. Shaking like a leaf and can't hold a cup kind of freezing. It could be 85 degrees outside and my body temperature dips waaaaay down. I stop after every race or workout for coffee somewhere. I'm not gonna lie when I say that normally, it's either a local coffee shop, O'henry's, with my running group or it's Starbucks if I'm on the go.


     Well. 2016 is a brand new year and I'm trying brand new things! I'm swapping over my coffee habits to McDonalds coffee before and after my workouts. This is working for me. I like McDonalds coffee. It's inexpensive compared to other coffees that I have been drinking. I like the fact that I can work with a Company that supports a FANTASTIC Cause and I love their products. It's the perfect combo for me!

     Another thing that I'm learning through this process is that McDonalds has changed up their menu a little bit. They are really focusing on healthy menu options. I'm a HUGE fan of that!!  I typically don't eat a whole lot of fast food just because I struggle with eating junk food.  The more I learn about the new menu, the more impressed I am.  Bring on the salads, yogurts and Artisan Chicken Sandwiches!



     I'm heading out now to be interviewed on my local news station to talk about The Red Shoe Run! EEEEEeeeeKk!!  I'm really looking forward to this race and cannot wait to have fun in my striped socks and RED SHOES!!  That reminds me... I gotta go Red Shoe Shopping! :)))

Happy Running, Happy Coffee and Happy Red Shoe Shopping!

For more information on The Red Shoe Run, please visit www.redshoerun-bham.org.  Use Code BAMAGIRLRUNS and save $5 when you join my team!








No comments:

Post a Comment