Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Don't underestimate yourself...#DopeyChallenge can be for you!

   
Goofy Challenges 2011 and 2013 at Walt Disney World

 One little link on Facebook has sparked a revelation for me. I'm so used to being a "runner" that I've almost forgotten how it may appear to other people. I read really great and inspiring blogs from fitness authors, follow tons of people on twitter that are experts in just about anything running related, and have met tons of friends in real life that I run with regularly that are just flat out better, faster and much more competitive than me. Over the course of 5 years I've ran 5k's, 10k's, sooo many Half Marathons that i've lost count (somewhere around 25 I think), 4 full marathons and 2 of those were Goofy Challenges (Half Marathon on Saturday and the Full Marathon on Sunday, 39.3 miles in two days). Not bragging, just stating the facts here.
 
     HOWEVER.....I tend to forget what the "normal" person who does not run these long distances or run as frequently thinks of me much less the crazy running Social Media world that I'm a part of! So I get questions daily like "Where should I buy new shoes" or "You run alot of Disney races, I really want to run one day. Why are they so good?" or "Which app should I use to train for my first 5K"? I give my honest answers and it's exciting to share with people my race experiences from my very first 5k all the way to my full marathon race experiences. I love following along with friends through heartaches, training, races and victories. It's just exciting. My pastor at church even called me out on it one Sunday during our service. He was preaching on endurance and Hebrews 12:1 and mentioned me. I was shocked. I couldn't believe it. Does he really think I'm good? Does he really think I'm disciplined. I guess he does....To me, it's just what I do. I'm just a "runner". All my friends are better runners. He's overestimating me. He's only saying this because I'm the only runner here at church.  Hmmmm.....

     I posted a link  on Facebook to the runDisney page announcing the new Dopey Challenge  (5k+10k+Half Marathon+Full Marathon=Dopey Challenge) and a friend sent me a text saying.."you're not really going to consider doing that are you?" Well between this text and my preacher's sermon, this got me thinking....she thinks I'm crazy. She thinks I can't do it. Why would she think that? Am I crazy? What in the world AM I thinking? I did Goofy Challenge and survived...WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL???? What's her problem anyway? I bet she doesn't really like Disney...I bet she's one of THOSE kinds of people. I bet she thinks I'm one of THOSE kinds of Disney people. OMG. I'm really overanalyzing this text.

     What I had to do at this point is stop and think about it logically. There was a time when I could NOT run a 5k straight through. There was a time when the word "Half Marathon" was not even a part of the language that I spoke. There was a time when "Full Marathon" was just another number on my bucket list that I only dreamed of crossing off one day. HOWEVER, today is not THAT time. I have completed two Goofy Challenges and yes they were tough, the first one because of the unknown and the second because I ran it solo (my sis was hurt and could not run), but I finished those and for no other reason than I had it in my mind to train smart and accomplish my goal. I realized after I had those medals around my neck that I love the "Challenge" aspect of the race! I could run a Half or Full Marathon in my hometown but it would not be the same.  The training is obviously not something that is for everyone. And it may not be. That's the truth but I do encourage you to get out there and try training for something new that you think you just can't do. You will 1., Surprise yourself and probably do really well and 2., Have a sense of pride that you may not realize you possess! Just train smart.

    There is just something about running through the Disney Parks first of all that is very sentimental to my heart but to be able to accomplish something that alot of other "normal" people only dream to accomplish is another thing! I was a dreamer too and still am...just like to turn my dreams into reality. I realize now that there are no "normal" people out there....anyone can cross things off of bucket lists. While some may say they are inspired by me, I'm just the opposite. I'm inspired by my friends who have just started running and complete a 5k or by those who change their diet and drop 20 pounds or those who have just ran their first mile straight through. And don't even get me started on my excitement if they register for their first RunDisney event.  It seems so crazy but those are the types of things that got me excited to run in the first place.
 
     Back to my story...I cannot imagine now ever running "just the full" at Disney again. I think I will always want to do the Goofy and even crazier now, the Dopey! I am one of THOSE people and I'm okay with that. What I don't want to lose sight of though, are the reasons I started running in the first place. The simple 5k's, stress relief, the good exercise, running with friends. I am keeping my training in check and don't want to go overboard with the craziness but I do still love a good challenge. I will begin training most likely in June and will try to be as smart and disciplined as I can be. After all, it's a goal that I want to accomplish but don't want to neglect my family and real life along the way! So the answer to the text is YES, I am Challenging myself to run the Dopey Challenge next January at Walt Disney World...What's YOUR Challenge????
Introducing the New Dopey Challenge during Marathon Weekend at Walt Disney World.
**Photo Courtesy of RunDisney

**More Details on Dopey Challenge:

Thursday, January 9 - Sunday, January 12, 2014
Start/Finish: Epcot®

Run 48.6 miles of fun in the Dopey Challenge!

Are you ready for the ultimate endurance challenge? Then take part in four days of fun for a total of 48.6 miles in the all-new Dopey Challenge! Participants will run the 5K, 10K, Half Marathon and Marathon, and if you complete all four races within the pacing requirements you will be awarded the Goofy Race and a Half Challenge medal and the brand new Dopey Challenge finisher medal for a total of six pieces of "bling."


**Be sure to check out RunDisney.com for all of the latest and greatest news on the RunDisney events at Walt Disney World and Disneyland.

**Registration for Dopey Challenge and Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend Presented by Cigna will open April 9th, 2013. 

**Registration is currently open for:
The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler Weekend
Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend

6 comments:

  1. Well, you ARE an inspiration to me. So there. I'm still debating on whether or not I want to make this the year that I do my one and only 26.2 at Disney. I have to make sure I'm willing to commit to the time and money it will take. I'm not ready to go Dopey, but I am so proud of those who are willing to train and do it right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ashley! You will LOVE the Marathon! I said I was only going to do one and I've done 4 now...but I am soooooo glad I chose Disney as my first. You will do great!!

      Delete
  2. Love this post! I decided last night (while on the treadmill) to do it. I'm going to try to do the Marine Corps Marathon as my first full to get ready. Can't wait to see you there, girl!! -Christine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dopey will be a breeze after Marine Corps!!! Can't wait to see all of your posts!

      Delete
  3. Your post brought tears to my eyes (beyond this stupid seasonal allergy) when you said "You will 1., Surprise yourself and probably do really well and 2., Have a sense of pride that you may not realize you possess!"

    I had already decided to sign up for Dopey, but it scares me because I've never run a full marathon. You say if I train smart I can do it - Thank You! My confidence is going to be on a roller coaster all year! I will need that kind of encouragement!!

    I have already astonished myself by starting to run at age 63 and finishing 3 5K's and 2 half marathons (both at Disneyland). I look forward (with considerable trepidation) to completing the Dopey Challenge. The Dumbo Challenge in August just got demoted to a training run.

    Rick Stiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! This is so awesome! And what an accomplishment for you starting at the age of 63. WOW!!! I love that you have demoted Dumbo. ;) You will do great! I can't wait to hear all of your progress!!

      Delete