Friday, October 24, 2014

Captain D's Has A Healthy and Fresh New Look! #DsNewLook


The fresh new look of Captain D's Restaurants!
 When I was contacted by Captain D's and my good friend, Sami Cone to attend a Birmingham Blogger event to try out a few new items on their new healthy menu, my first instinct was not NO but HECK NO. I do not eat fast food and I don't want to pretend like I do. However, after receiving a few emails describing their new look and vision behind the menu, I decided to give it a try. I'm glad that I did.
Welcome Mommy Bloggers!
Hanging with Nashville's own, Sami Cone!
      I will be brutally honest when I say that I cannot remember the last time that I ate at a Captain D's. It wasn't because I don't like their food...I mean, the fried fish smothered in malt vinegar is delicious. You know that it is. I'm NOT denying that. There is a Captain D's within 15 minutes of my house also, so location is not the issue either. It's just that after a bad health scare a few years ago, I swore off all desserts, junk food, fast food etc. I run to stay in shape and to stay in good health so the LAST thing that I'm going to do is cancel all of my hard work out and eat unhealthy. It's not going to happen. I'm a realistic person and I realize that every once in a while I'm going to have to hit the fast food drive-thru...I have three kids. They play sports, we're never home during certain seasons of the year. I live at ballparks. Nachos become dinner some nights and rive thru windows sometimes cannot be avoided. If I have to swing thru, I always choose the salad, something grilled, yogurt, oatmeal....you get the idea.

     Now I was REALLY interested to see the new items presented by Captain D's. First off, I was welcomed by the PR crew from Nashville. They came all the way to Birmingham to hear my thoughts and to see what my kiddos had to say. I think that all around we were pleasantly surprised.
The Captain D's PR Crew giving the Birmingham Bloggers a warm welcome!
    Emily Tucker, Sr. Manager of Field Marketing, informed us that they were changing the brand, changing the "look" of the store inside and out. They want the look to have a more coastal, comfortable, brighter and beachier look. They have definitely succeeded. I was shocked when I walked in. It definitely did not look like the old Captain D's. I can remember as a kid thinking...."Ahhhh if I could EVER just learn how to tie one of those knots". Do you know what I am talking about?? Captain D's as I remember it was decked out in Fisherman knots. I will never forget that. Big Giant Thick Rope Knots EVERYWHERE.
My daughter enjoying #DsNewLook
     Families can sit down at Captain's tables in the middle of the restaurant that will accommodate a family of eight. That is HUGE! I know that there are six of us in my family and we struggle with that. We usually always split up at a fast food place. The booths just don't cut it. Even if dinner happens at a fast food restaurant, it's still a priority for me for my family to all come together at the end of the day for a good meal. I have always been a big believer in families eating together all at once. 

     Next on the Brand Team, Sam Brenner, gave us the inside scoop on the new "SpiderMan" themed Kids Meals. The goal on this new design was to figure out a way to draw kids in and then also offering them healthy options in their meals. Each Kids Meal will include two healthy sides. My kids ordered green beans, mac n' cheese and grilled fish. They loved it!

Kids Meals Entree Options Include:
Chicken Tenders
Fish Tenders
Popcorn Shrimp
Grilled Fish Tenders
Choices, Choices, Choices!!


Spiderman Themed 3D Kids Meals
Sides in the Kids Meals...Green Beans, Fried Okra and Mac N' Cheese
The portions were large.
Each Kids Meal comes with 3D glasses, downloadable activity books, crayons and tattoos.

My kids are not impressed with my shenanigans. LOL.
     The kids had so much fun at this event making animal balloons, face painting....all while enjoying a HEALTHY Meal!! Mama was pretty happy about this too. :)
Of course, my sporty boy wanted to wear an elephant on his head. #RollTide
Sami Cone's Daughter transformed into Super Woman!
Too Cute!
Perhaps the biggest kid of the night....was yours truly!
I did not hesitate at all to get my face painted...Once a Princess, Always a Princess!
     As for me, I ordered the Grilled Shrimp Skewers with seasoned rice and steamed broccoli. My dinner came with a roll. However, I did not eat the roll.  I'm sure that it was yummy but I kept my dinner under 500 calories. Can you believe that?? An affordable grilled seafood dinner at a fast food restaurant for less than 500 calories?!?! I was more than impressed. The shrimp was delicious too!

More "From The Grill" Menu Options Include:
Shrimp Skewers
Seasoned Tilapia
Wild Alaskan Salmon
Surf and Turf
Shrimp Scampi
Grilled Chicken Breast 
Grilled White Fish and Shrimp Skewer
My Dinner...Grilled Shrimp Skewers, Seasoned Rice, Steamed Broccoli.
      I was only able to try out one dinner tonight but I will definitely make a better effort from now on to visit Captain D's when my family needs to grab a quick dinner on the go. 

Additional Healthy Menu Items available include:
Surf and Turf served with seasoned rice, steamed broccoli and fresh roll.
Grilled Fish, Steamed Broccoli and Salad...less than 500 calories!
     The last thing that my kids sampled were their new dessert items. I passed on those but my kids really liked them. :)
My son eating dessert with his not-so-serious face!
Apple Pie Bites Drizzled with Caramel Sauce
My daughter trying the Bananas Foster Cheesecake Bites...
and yes, I'm really taking her picture!
Come on Mom!!
Bananas Foster Cheesecake Bites
Dessert Menu Items Options Include:
Bananas Foster Cheesecake Bites
Cheesecake
Chocolate Cake

      Be sure to stop in to your local Captain D's and check out their fresh new look! I think that you and your family will be just as impressed as I was! 

      And for all of the latest news, updates and additional menu items available, be sure to visit CaptainDs.com.  Also, follow @CaptainDs on Twitter, @CaptainDsSeafood on Instagram and follow the hashtag #DsNewLook. 

Disclaimer: A Huge THANK YOU to the Captain D's Crew and to Sami Cone for inviting myself and my family to discover Captain D's New Look. We enjoyed our dinner and will definitlely be back. My family was provided dinner and a Captain D's Gift bag in return for my Social Media coverage of the events and my honest thoughts and opinions. 


No comments:

Post a Comment