Wednesday, March 12, 2014

What's in my Yoga Tote?!? Apera Review


I packed my Apera Yoga Tote and I'm headed to Disney's Princess Half Marathon weekend!
     So this is going to be a fun post!  The great folks over at Apera Bags were so generous to send me a bag to review and take to Disney's Princess Half Marathon Weekend. Of course, I packed all of my  runDisney usuals...you know, Mouse Ears, Magic Band, Foam Roller, 12 running skirts (I need options!), my Minnie and Cinderella running shoes, lots of shirts, socks, sports bras, my iphone and all of my charging components.

     I thought my bag looked really happy to be wearing Mouse Ears and traveling to Orlando. :)

     Three Words: I'M A FAN.

     Let's face it. A bag is a bag, right??  NO Ma'am it's not!! I've owned several gym/travel bags and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by this bag. The fabric was fabulous!!!

     I chose the Yoga Tote in Fuschia. The reason I chose this bag versus some of the other bags on the website is because I thought it was a perfect fit for me and my travels. I always keep a bag packed in my car with my running essentials. I travel with my job and I never know where I'm going to end up running somedays.

Description

The Apera Yoga Tote is designed to be your yoga partner.

Our innovative yoga mat storage within the shoulder strap loops is a unique and patented* feature that allows you to carry your mat securely along the top of the bag. No more strapping it loosely to the side or carrying your mat separately.

The expansive interior storage area is easy to access and holds all of your yoga essentials – including room for a yoga block – and features a separate divided area for your shoes. Plus, the entire storage area is vented on the top and sides to keep your bag dry and odor-free.

This bag is not just for yoga, though. It’s also a perfect travel companion or weekend bag.

Now that’s flexible.


The first thing to go in my Yoga Tote??
My New Balance Minnie Shoes, of course!!
     Why Apera Bags??
Via Apera.com....
With an abundance of people, sweat and heat, gyms are often times ideal breeding grounds for germs that can lead to the common cold or even more harmful bacteria such as life-threatening methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). Think about the unhealthy surfaces that come in contact with the outside of your bag – locker room floors, bathrooms, filthy pavement, etc. Also, your own wet, sweaty gear and the grimy soles of your shoes transfer germs throughout the inside of your bag.

In fact, The National Athletic Trainers’ Association (NATA) recently emphasized that people who work out in communal settings such as gyms are at higher risk for skin infections and other infectious diseases.

The NATA cited a recent study of infectious disease outbreaks that reported how skin diseases accounted for more than half (56 percent) of all infectious diseases in competitive sports from 1922 through 2005. Close quarters, such as gyms, that promote skin-to-skin and bodily secretion contact, make athletes and their sports gear particularly vulnerable to contracting skin diseases – including life-threatening MRSA. In a recent survey*, 46% of sports bag owners indicated that they never or rarely wipe down their bag.

According to data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in 1974 MRSA accounted for just 2 percent of all infections; however, by 2004 MRSA accounted for 63 percent of all infections. In 2005 MRSA accounted for more than 18,000 deaths. Today, it is believed that more than 1 million people are infected with MRSA resulting in more than 100,000 deaths. The Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology also supports these findings and has published data showing MRSA is becoming more common among athletes.

Experts agree that understanding basic preventive measures is essential in preventing the spread of these common and sometimes serious skin infections. One of the common recommendations to avoid contracting potentially harmful skin diseases at the gym revolve around sports bags. Keeping a gym bag organized (separating wet clothing) and dry is crucial as bacteria and fungus love sweat and moist environments. Laundering and/or disinfecting clothing and equipment after returning from the gym is another common germ prevention tip.

All Apera bags feature antimicrobial product protection inside and out to help resist odor and the attachment and survival of bacteria. Your Apera bag keeps you healthier, too. Apera’s antimicrobial product protection also inhibits the transfer of bacteria from your bag to your skin.

In addition, other key elements keep your Apera bag clean, dry and healthy. We’ve incorporated a waterproof base to prevent moisture from seeping into your bag. Strategically placed ventilated compartments allow your bag to exhale and help keep itself odor-free.   

      My Favorite Features:

  • LOVE LOVE LOVE the zillions of pockets! Seriously. I can just never have enough. One great thing about the pockets is that they were pockets of all different sizes. I like the fact that there's a pocket perfect for my ipad, keys, phone and just about anything else that I could think of!
  • I'm a girl so I love the bright pink color!
  • There is a compartment on the inside large enough to hold my running shoes. I can even keep them separated from my clothes and other clean items.
  • The shoulder strap is so comfy!! I usually always have a carry-on bag of sort when I travel and this strap did not cut into my skin. Score!!!
  • There are loops on the edge of the bag that I used to attach my Mouse Ears and pontytail holders onto. Love this feature!
  • I'm a huge believer in my foam roller and I take it with me when I travel. Even though this was a Yoga Tote, I was able to place my foam roller in the slots designated for a yoga mat and it fit perfectly. Cool!
Wipeable lining on the inside of the pockets.

Wipeable Linings

You clean your clothes after a workout, so why not your bag? Dirt, sweat and other unwanted materials can piggyback on your clothes and shoes. And those items come into contact with your bag. Wiping our easy-to-clean linings with mild soap and water helps keep your bag fresh and healthy.

Washable Insert

This bonus gift also features antimicrobial product protection and is included with every Apera bag to help keep your wet or sweaty items separate from your dry gear. Simply tuck your items in this easy-to-access water resistant zippered pouch and they’re kept from the rest of your stuff. For easy cleaning, simply wipe with soap and water by hand.

Inside pocket...perfect for my phone!
Elastic holders on the outer edges to accommodate different sized water bottles.
Pockets everywhere. Note the loop at the bottom of this pic. 
Vented pockets to defunk your stinky items. :)

Vented Compartments

After your exercise regimen, your clothes are likely to be wet and sweaty. Keeping those moist items in your bag can cause problems for the rest of your gear. Apera bags’ breathable material is intelligently located throughout to allow for air flow, keeping your bag and everything inside it dry and odor-free.

This bag is roomy! 

The shoulder strap. 
I had to stop by the Apera booth at Disney's Princess Half Marathon and
 let them know just how much I {heart} my Yoga Tote. 

     I had so much fun playing with my new Yoga Tote during Disney's Princess Half Marathon Weekend. Be sure to stop by their booth at the next runDisney event or visit AperaBags.com for more information on this cool tote and others just as cool. :)

     Another reason why I love this company...Check this out!

Apera Will Inspire All Athletes

Apera’s cause is simple – to inspire all athletes. We have created a unique business model that reinforces the social and causal components of a Social-Athlete culture.

1NSPIR3D

Apera will donate one bag to a Special Olympics athlete for every three bags we sell.

     The last time I looked, there were a few on sale on the website. ;)

     My next purchase?!? The Performance Duffel! I gotta have it!

Happy Running and see you at the Castle!

No comments:

Post a Comment